Wednesday, January 04, 2012

Sour Dough Onion Rye Bread



Got the "sour" part right!

Oh, my goodness.  My friend, Melissa, gave me some sour dough starter about a month ago.  I've been nurturing it along and finally decided to make bread this week., inspired by her recipe.   It was definitely sour!!! Almost like vinegar.  I toasted it and added some jam to sweeten it up.  It didn't raise very much.  I had cut the recipe in half to make enough for one loaf but then put the dough in two smaller loaf tins.  I will have to figure out how to make it a little less tart next time.  Wow!

2 comments:

Country Leanings said...

If is was anything like how mine turned out it's definitely sour! That's Sandor Katz's recipe from his book, Wild Fermentation... crazy sour! Try your next batch with some molasses to help counter the sourness.

Mary in A2 said...

Ahhh! I will do that. I also think I either put a little too much flour in by thinking I could add extra with my hands instead of sticking with the "spoon" directions and maybe baked it just a little to long. It was two small loaves and I baked them about two hours. Someday I'll get the hang of this.